Wednesday, February 1, 2012

January Genealogy Goals Recap

January was a bit of a rocky month thanks to a computer crash. I'm making do with an older one until I can get a new laptop next month. Unfortunately, the combination of the computer crash and having to work on an older (read: a lot less functional) computer, set me back quite a bit on my goals. Hopefully next month will be better.


Research
  • Make list of microfilms to request in advance of trip to Family History Center.  List has been started, but I need to finish it.
  • Start list of names to check when the 1940 census is released. Well I started it anyway. I really need to get moving on this project because April will be here before I know it. Next month I plan to finish my list and start pinpointing the areas I need to check for each person.
  • Research Gilmer County, West Virginia and develop research plan. Done, you can read it here.
Writing
  • Write 8 posts for each of my blogs. I didn't make it on either blog.
  • Come up with post ideas for my upcoming blog to document my husband's side of the family. Done. I have started pre-writing posts and hope to launch in another month or so.
  • Begin working on outline for book on doing genealogy on a budget. I didn't get as far as I had hoped. My plan was to get an outline done this month so I could start researching and writing next month. I'm still working on the outline.
  • Review one genealogy book. Done, I reviewed West Virginia Genealogy Sources and Resources. You can read it here.
Education
  • Read one genealogy book. Done. I finished West Virginia Genealogy Sources and Resources and have started The Family Tree Problem Solver. Look for a review in February.
  • Get back into gear with US Records Study Group. I've started this month's assignments, but haven't completed them yet.
  • Watch one genealogy webinar. Didn't get to it this month.
Volunteer
  • Revisit local library and make a list of lookups I can offer based on the holdings of the genealogy room. Didn't get to it this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment