Thursday, February 9, 2012

Does Decor Bring Back Memories for You?

I have a confession. I'm addicted to chef decor. It started out innocently. My sister and I were shopping and we came across a clock with a chef on it. It was cute so I bought it for my kitchen. A few weeks later, I was at a flea market and came across a chef napkin holder. I walked around three or four times before I finally bought it. That was the beginning of my obsession.

The chef clock that started it all.  It hangs above my sink mounted on the soffit that tops my cabinets.

For Christmas, my sister got me a couple of the figurines and hooks with the chef decor. Since then, I've added dishcloths, potholders, oven mitts, kitchen towels, miniature collector's dishes, a couple wall plaques and a tablecloth.

For a while, my addiction seemed tamed. Then I went to a store one day and was confronted with a large display of more chef decor items. I had to have them. Before I could stop myself, I had four canvases, a sink sponge holder and a spoon rest in the buggy.

I can't help but wonder if since my daughter is growing up around this obsession, if she's not going to immediately associate any chef decor she comes across with me. It's not that strange of a thought.

You see, my paternal grandmother collects Aunt Jemima dolls. She started her collection before I was born and has added to it over the years. A few pieces I've even bought for her. To this day, whenever I come across one, it immediately brings her to mind.

My maternal grandmother collected Barbies, not the cheap ones, but the limited edition ones. They were never taken out of the box. One entire wall of her bedroom was filled with shelves of Barbies. Every time I see a Barbie in a store, I think of her.

What decor brings back memories of family for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment