Friday, December 23, 2011

Dear Genea-Santa

Dear Genea-Santa,

I've been a good girl this year. I've cited my sources. I've (mostly) used my research logs. I've helped others with volunteer work. I've even cleaned my genea-cave. With that in mind, this is what I'd like to see under the tree this year.
  1. Prepaid credit cards. Visiting where my ancestors came from takes money, as does expanding my genealogy education and ordering vital records.
  2. Subscriptions. Just sign me up for whatever genealogy and newspaper database sites and genealogy magazines  you can think of.
  3. Lifetime memberships. Offhand, I'm thinking the National Genealogical Society; the state genealogical societies for Georgia, South Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana; and regional societies like Hackers Creek Pioneer Descendants, the New England Genealogical and Historical Society and the Huxford Genealogical Society. You can choose one or two, but if you really want to make my day, get them all.
  4. Office supplies. You know what I mean-paper, ink, notepads, folders, archival quality sleeves, etc. If you want to throw in some Zebra pens, that would be great too. They're not quite as fat as other pens so they're easier on my hands when taking notes or transcribing. If you're not sure what to get, a gift card to an office supply store will work too. We have a Staples in town.
  5. A digital flash recorder. I love it when family members tell stories, but my hands get cramped from frantic note-taking after a while.
  6. More bookcases. I'm a book fiend and already have five bookcases, but it's not enough. With all the genealogy books I just ordered, I'll need more space.
  7. Tuition for the Boston University Certificate in Genealogy Studies program or the NGS Home Study Program. Or, if you want a really spectacular gift, do both.
  8. The answer to at least one brick wall. I'm not picky; I'll take help with any of them. You know the names of all the children in the world. Surely you know who their parents are and whether they were naughty or nice. If you can't give me the answer, I'll even take just a clue, such as the town where you dropped down the chimney in a particular year. That's not asking much, is it?

Sincerely,
Your favorite family historian

No comments:

Post a Comment