Friday, November 25, 2011

What Would Our Ancestors Think of Black Friday?

As I stood in Walmart last night surveying the madness around me, the thought occurred to me "What would my ancestors think of Black Friday?" To be honest, I think they'd be appalled.

For the most part, my ancestors were simple people. Many were farmers, relying on what they could make or grow to take care of their families. Going out in the cold in the middle of the night to stand in line for hours fighting the crowds doesn't strike me as something they would do.

My ancestors weren't fighters. Unless there's a black sheep hiding somewhere, my forebears stayed on the right side of the law. Their fighting was reserved for military service and protecting the home from attacks. I can't picture one of them pepper-spraying a crowd so they could get an X-Box like a woman in California or robbing and shooting people in parking lots like happened in two states.

What do you think your ancestors would think of Black Friday?

2 comments:

  1. I'm positive my ancestors would be appalled as am I and as are my present day family members.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure my ancestors would have agreed with yours.

    ReplyDelete