Monday, November 21, 2011

Exploring Land Records: Aaron Schoolcraft

Land records are a relatively new area of exploration for me. However, after seeing a mention of land grants in a book that mentioned some of my paternal ancestors, I decided to see if there was anything available online. It didn't take long for me to uncover Virginia Land Office Patents and Grants/Northern Neck Grant and Surveys.

I typed Schoolcraft, my current surname of interest, into the search box and found a land grant for my suspected paternal 5th great grandfather, Aaron Schoolcraft.

Land Grant for Aaron Schoolcraft, 30 Sep 1853, Land Office Grants No. 94, 1842-1843, p. 649 (Reel 160), Library of Virginia Archives (Image available online)
James McDowell
To all whom these Presents shall come-Greeting: KNOW YE, That in conformity with a Survey, made on the 22nd day of July, one thousand eight hundred and thirty one. By virtue of Land Office Treasury warrant No 10566

there is granted by the said Commonwealth, unto Aaron Schoolcraft

a certain Tract or Parcel of Land, containing fifty acres lying and being in Lewis County on Grave run waters of Leading creek and bounded as follows towit (sic), Beginning on awhite (sic) oak and beech standing on The bank of Grave run 20 poles above where The Road crosses said run on Hallman's line Thence North 100 poles To a gum. Thence west eighty poles To awhite (sic) oak Thence South 100 poles to awhite (sic) oak, Thence East 80 poles To The beginning withe (sic) its appurtenances.

TO HAVE AND TO HOLD  the Tract or Parcel of Land, with its appurtenances, to the said Aaron Schoolcraft and his  heirs forever.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the said James McDowell Esquire, Governor of the Commonwealth of Virginia, hath hereunto set his Hand, and caused the Lesser Seal of the said Commonwealth to be affixed, at Richmond, on the thirtiethe (sic) day of September in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and forty three and of the Commonwealth the sixty eighth

Jas. McDowell
Written by hand on the left side of the page:
Aaron Schoolcraft
50 acres
v
Lewis County
Exd
(Illegible) to Col Edmiston
30th Jany 1844


I'm curious about what happened to the land. Aaron Schoolcraft appears in census records in Lewis County in 1830 and 1840 and in Gilmer County (which was formed from part of Lewis in 1845) in 1850.

According to the book History of Ritchie County, Aaron moved from Gilmer County to Ritchie County in 1853, settling on Lower Spruce Creek. He appears in census records in Ritchie County from 1860 to 1880, after which he disappears from view, presumably having passed away.

Leading Creek is in present day Gilmer County, West Virginia around Glenville. I haven't been able to locate Grave Run on a map yet. It's possible the name has been changed. From looking at topo maps, it appears that there are a few runs on Leading Creek so one of these may be it.

The name sounds familiar but I'm not sure if it's because I've heard someone say it or if I remember it from another record. My grandmother and great grandmother both grew up in the area (great grandmother still lives near there) so I may try them to see if they recognize it and can tell me where it is.

Since I wasn't able to take my last planned trip to West Virginia, I have tentative plans to go in April. I'm adding land conveyance research to my to-do list.

No comments:

Post a Comment