Saturday, October 1, 2011

September Genealogy Goals Recap

Research

Send another round of lookup requests. While looking through my bookmarks, I came across a list of lookup volunteers that I had forgotten about.

Since I didn't get a chance to send the requests until just a few days ago, I'm still waiting on responses. Hopefully, they'll yield some good information.

Try contacting the cemetery where I believe my maternal 2nd great grandparents are buried. I tried a while back to confirm they were buried there, but wasn't successful at reaching anyone.

Still trying to reach someone.

Organization


Finish getting my genea-cave
organized.
Done. I'll try to get pictures up this month.

Writing


Eight posts a month per blog. One post here will be about the genealogy education notebook that I've put together.

Done. For the first time this year, I actually exceeded my goal on both blogs. You can find my post about my genealogy education notebook here.

Education

Do at least one genealogy education course/webinar. Legacy has a couple that I'm interested in.
Done.
I joined the US Records Study Group that Tonia Kendrick and Valerie Elkins started. If you're not familiar with the group (it is new after all), the group studies the books The Researcher's Guide to American Genealogy and The Source, with monthly assignments designed around the reading and a capstone project at the completion of the 15 month study group. It started earlier this month and I'm looking forward to seeing how my skills improve over time. I will be doing most, if not all, of my assignments here at Ancestrally Challenged. You can view my first assignment here.

I also took a webinar at Legacy, Organizing for Success by Karen Clifford. I decided on this webinar because it ties into this month's US Records Study Group assignment. The webinar is geared more towards Legacy users than users of other programs, but still has some good information, especially on setting up a filing system. The combination of the monthly assignment for the study group and viewing this webinar led to me revamping my organization system, which you can read about here.

Volunteer

Take some Find-A-Grave pictures. 

Done.

No comments:

Post a Comment