Thursday, September 8, 2011

My 99 Genealogy Things Meme

  1. Belong to a genealogical society 
  2. Joined a group on Genealogy Wise.
  3. Transcribed records. I index for FamilySearch and the Restore the Ancestors Project. I also have a personal transcription project in process.
  4. Uploaded headstone pictures to Find-A-Grave or a similar site
  5. Documented ancestors for four generations (self, parents, grandparents, great-grandparents)
  6. Joined Facebook.
  7. Cleaned up a run-down cemetery.
  8. Joined the Genea-Bloggers Group.
  9. Attended a genealogy conference. 2010 Atlanta Family History Expo, going back this year
  10. Lectured at a genealogy conference. 
  11. Spoke on a genealogy topic at a local genealogy society/local library’s family history group.
  12. Joined the National Genealogical Society.
  13. Contributed to a genealogy society publication.
  14. Served on the board or as an officer of a genealogy society 
  15. Got lost on the way to a cemetery. 
  16. Talked to dead ancestors.
  17. Researched outside the state in which I live.
  18. Knocked on the door of an ancestral home and visited with the current occupants. 
  19. Cold called a distant relative.
  20. Posted messages on a surname message board.
  21. Uploaded a gedcom file to the internet.
  22. Googled my name.
  23. Performed a random act of genealogical kindness.
  24. Researched a non-related family, just for the fun of it.
  25. Have been paid to do genealogical research.
  26. Earn a living (majority of income) from genealogical research.
  27. Wrote a letter (or email) to a previously unknown relative.
  28. Contributed to one of the genealogy carnivals. It's been a while, but here's my carnival contribution.
  29. Responded to messages on a message board.
  30. Was injured while on a genealogy excursion. I've had sunburns several times after visiting cemeteries and my blood has mingled with that of my ancestors in a few cemeteries thanks to various scratches from vines and bushes.
  31. Participated in a genealogy meme. 
  32. Created family history gift items.
  33. Performed a record lookup.
  34. Took a genealogy seminar cruise.
  35. Am convinced that a relative must have arrived here from outer space. They know who they are.
  36. Found a disturbing family secret.
  37. Told others about a disturbing family secret.
  38. Combined genealogy with crafts (family picture quilt, scrapbooking). 
  39. Think genealogy is a passion obsession not a hobby.
  40. Assisted finding next of kin for a deceased person. (Unclaimed Persons)
  41. Taught someone else how to find their roots.
  42. Lost valuable genealogy data due to a computer crash or hard drive failure. I use Dropbox's automatic backups to make sure I don't lose all my hard work.
  43. Been overwhelmed by available genealogy technology.
  44. Know a cousin of the 4th degree or higher.
  45. Disproved a family myth through research. I've debunked a couple.
  46. Got a family member to let you copy photos. My mother, grandmother and mother-in-law's pictures so far. 
  47. Used a digital camera to “copy” photos or records.
  48. Translated a record from a foreign language.
  49. Found an immigrant ancestor’s passenger arrival record. On my husband's side, not my own.
  50. Looked at census records on microfilm, not on the computer.
  51. Used microfiche.
  52. Visited the Family History Library in Salt Lake City.
  53. Used Google+ for genealogy. Still waiting to get access.
  54. Visited a church or place of worship of one of your ancestors.
  55. Taught a class in genealogy.
  56. Traced ancestors back to the 18th Century.
  57. Traced ancestors back to the 17th Century.
  58. Traced ancestors back to the 16th Century.
  59. Can name all of your great-great-grandparents.
  60. Know how to determine a soundex code without the help of a computer.
  61. Have found many relevant and unexpected articles on internet to “put flesh on the bones”. I learned that my paternal great grandmother wrote a series of articles for her local newspaper. The other night I was browsing a newspaper from the area where some of my maternal line is from and found some interesting articles.
  62. Own a copy of Evidence Explained by Elizabeth Shown Mills.
  63. Helped someone find an ancestor using records you had never used for your own research.
  64. Visited the main National Archives building in Washington, DC.
  65. Have an ancestor who came to America as an indentured servant.
  66. Have an ancestor who fought in the Revolutionary War, War of 1812 or Civil War.
  67. Taken a photograph of an ancestor’s tombstone.
  68. Can “read” a church record in Latin. 
  69. Have an ancestor who changed his/her name. They didn't exactly change their entire name, but I have a few that went by a different version of it (first name, middle name, nickname, initials, reversed initials, reversed first and middle name, etc) in every single record I found. I guess I shouldn't complain because, as I mentioned in a previous post, I go by several variations of my name as well.
  70. Joined a Rootsweb mailing list.
  71. Created a family website. Still in the planning stages.
  72. Have a genealogy blog. Two, this one and Free Genealogy Resources. Debating about a third to document my husband's side of the family.
  73. Was overwhelmed by the amount of family information received from someone. Very early in my genealogy research efforts, I contacted a lookup volunteer to help me locate my paternal 2nd great grandparents' marriage record. As it turns out, the volunteer was a very distant cousin. He not only found the record I had requested, but also sent a mostly documented genealogy of our shared line of the family.
  74. Have broken through at least one brick wall.
  75. Done genealogy research at a court house.
  76. Borrowed microfilm from the Family History Library through a local Family History Center(s) 
  77. Found an ancestor in an online newspaper archive.
  78. Have visited a NARA branch.
  79. Have an ancestor who served in WWI or WWII. Several, my maternal great grandmother's brother, Earnest C Hayes, was killed in action during WWI.
  80. Use maps in my genealogy research.
  81. Have a blacksheep ancestor.
  82. Found a bigamist amongst my ancestors. No, but I do have one that would have a child with his mistress, then marry her once his current wife passed. According to my grandmother, that side of the family was well-known for doing that.
  83. Attended a genealogical institute. 
  84. Taken online genealogy (and local history) courses. 
  85. Consistently (document) and cite my sources. Still working on this, although I'm getting better about it.
  86. Visited a foreign country (i.e. one I don’t live in) in search of ancestors. 
  87. Can locate any document in my research files within a few minutes. As long as it isn't sitting in my to-be-filed basket.
  88. Have an ancestor who was married four times. I have a few, the most notable being my maternal great grandfather, Clyde Thomas Vanzandt, who was married 8 times. In his defense, he actually only had 4 wives. He married one woman twice and another woman three times.
  89. Made a rubbing of an ancestor’s gravestone.
  90. Followed genealogists on Twitter. You can follow me @freefamilytree.
  91. Published a family history book. 
  92. Learned of a death of a fairly close family relative through research.
  93. Offended a family member with my research.
  94. Reunited someone with precious family photos or artifacts.
  95. Have a paid subscription to a genealogy database. 
  96. Submitted articles for FamilySearch Wiki
  97. Organized a family reunion. 
  98. Used Archives in countries where my ancestors originated.
  99. Converted someone new to the love of all things genealogy.
Thanks to Valerie at Family Cherished for alerting me to the 99 genealogy things meme. If you're not familiar with the meme, the goal is to bold things you have done or found, italicize things you want to do or find and leave normal the things you haven't done or found, and aren't interested in doing or finding (at least right now). I added my own comments in blue just because I'm not the type to give just a yes or no answer.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dee

    I've got quite a few Google+ invitations left if you would like one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dee I like your list! It really gets you thinking doesn't it? Glad it inspired you too.

    ReplyDelete