Friday, December 31, 2010

2011 Genealogy Goals

It's that time again, the time to set goals for the coming year. Unlike my previous goals, which focused on research, I will be setting goals in multiple categories. These are research (obviously), organization, writing and education.

Research

  • Determine who the parents of my great great grandfather James Thomas Hayes are and where he is buried.
  • Determine exactly when my great great grandmother Minnie L Rice Hayes passed and where she is buried.
  • Determine if Bonnie Lee Radcliff and Lenia Pearl Radcliff were actually twins or if there was an error in the birth records.
  • Determine who the parents of Thomas Vanzandt were as well as his exactly date of death. 
  • Determine parents of husband's great great grandparents Joseph Koch Sr and Therese Ospelt Koch.
  • Continue transcription project of all vital records for my WV surnames.
  • Look into ordering death certificates for those individuals in my tree that I do not have a date of death or am missing information on parents. 
  • Look into alternative record sources instead of only census, immigration, military and vital records.
  • Visit at least one archive or genealogy library.
  • Visit local libraries to see what they have to offer that may be helpful in my genealogy research.

Organization

  • Continue with project to rebuild family tree from scratch adding only those people that I have sources to back up their addition.
  • Make sure I have copies of all sources with citations.
  • Make sure all sources I already have copies of have citations.
  • See if there is a way to do a timeline for the entire family tree with one of my family tree programs. If not, begin compiling one.
  • Get all photographs scanned in and labeled.
  • Consistently use my research logs to avoid repeating searches.

Writing

  • Write at least three blog posts a week for both of my blogs. One of the three posts here at Ancestrally Challenged can be a daily blogging theme.
  • Participate in a genealogy blog carnival.

Education

  • Attend at least one genealogy conference.
  • Take at least six family history-related classes or webinars.
  • Look into joining a genealogy society.
  • Look into professional certification.

I know it seems like a lot, but I plan to break these goals down into more manageable chunks for my monthly goals. With luck and some perseverance, by this time next year, I will hopefully be able to check everything off.

3 comments:

  1. Wow - you have quite a few goals! I also spent some time this week thinking about what I got done and what I would like to get done in 2011. Best wishes to you for the New Year and for meeting your goals. I will check back here for motivation. Also thanks for following my blog (The Keough Corner). I am trying to give equal time to my Scandinavian roots with another blog (Scandia Musings). Take care and Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved reading your list. Good luck with your genealogy goals this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hehe Dee and what will you do in your spare time? Just kidding.. a wonderful list and one to be emulated :)

    J at Cow Hampshire

    ReplyDelete