Friday, November 11, 2011

Veterans in My Tree

In honor of Veteran's Day, I thought I'd share the military heroes found in my family tree. Since some of the veterans are still living (some still serving), I have chosen to list only their relationship and not their names. This is not all the veterans in my family tree, only the ones I have uncovered so far. Hopefully by next year, I will have uncovered more.

Wars in Iraq & Afghanistan
  • My cousin
  • My cousin's wife
  • My nephew
Vietnam War
  • Bobby Gene Hayes Sr, my cousin
  • Donald Ray Rhodes, my cousin. Killed in action
  • Harlin Asa Radcliff Jr, my cousin
World War II
  • Earnest C Hayes, brother to my maternal great grandmother Alice Isabel Hayes Sweat. Killed in action at Iwo Jima
  • Henry Eugene Hayes, brother to my maternal great grandmother Alice Isabel Hayes Sweat
  • Roy Ethridge Hayes, brother to my maternal great grandmother Alice Isabel Hayes Sweat
  • Walter Henry Vanzandt, brother to my maternal great grandfather Clyde Thomas Vanzandt
  • Everett S Vanzandt, brother to my maternal great grandfather Clyde Thomas Vanzandt
  • Clark Sutter, maternal step great grandfather
  • Argial Waitman Carson, paternal great grandfather 
  • Harlin Asa Radcliff Sr, brother of my paternal great grandfather
  • My cousin
World War I
  • Frank E King, paternal 2nd great grandfather.
Civil War
  • Oliver Perry Register, maternal 3rd great grandfather. Confederate
  • Burrell B Sweat, brother to maternal 4th great grandfather John Franklin Sweat. Confederate.
  • Roland Sweat, brother to maternal 3rd great grandfather John Franklin Sweat. Confederate.
  • John Guess Rice, maternal 5th great grandfather. Confederate. Died in Fort Delaware Prison.
  • Frederick Grossenbacher, paternal 4th great grandfather. Union
  • James A Carson, paternal 4th great grandfather. Union
  • Aaron William Radcliff, paternal 3rd great grandfather. Union
Indian Wars
  • William T Sweat, maternal 5th great grandfather
    American Revolutionary War
    • John Register, maternal 7th great grandfather
    • Benjamin Register, maternal 8th great grandfather
    • Aaron Adam Rice, maternal 7th great grandfather
    • William Rhoden, maternal 8th great grandfather
    • Nathaniel Sweat, maternal 6th great grandfather
    Unknown
    • John Cason, husband of my maternal great aunt Linda Faye Sweat Cason. Military gravestone marker says US Army

      1 comment:

      1. You may be able to find out more about where my uncle John Cason served from his son Allen Brian Cason in Ft.Valley, GA. He's on Facebook too, or his wife Salina is I think.

        ReplyDelete