Monday, November 7, 2011

Amanuensis Monday: John F Carson's Will

John Francis Carson was my paternal 3rd great grandfather. While browsing FamilySearch yesterday, I noticed they had West Virginia Wills so I started looking through to see if a familiar name popped up. There were some familiar surnames, but his is the first name that I recognized as part of my family tree.

"West Virginia Will Books, 1756-1971." images, FamilySearch. entry for JF Carson, will record 15 Jan 1926; citing Will Books, Lewis, Will book, v. E 1917-1928, Image 201; Lewis County Courthouse, Weston, West Virginia, United States.


Will of J.F. Carson made at Weston, W. VA., January 15, 1926

I, J.F. Carson of the Town of Weston Lewis County and State of West Va. make this my last Will and Testament hereby revoking all former Wills made by me and direct the payment of just debts. I hereby Give devise and bequeath to F.S. Carson Alice Carson Killingworth J. Worthy Carson Ivy B. Carson Frozier John M. Carson, Emma R. Carson Coberly, Clara E Coberly. a certain tract of Land situated in Gilmer County Glenville District on Waters of Grass Run of Stewarts Creek containing 115 acirs(sic) to be Equally divided by Sale or Survey as they may choose. it is my wishes that Ivy Frazier will have the care of Elizabeth Carson my wife and that she shall by amply Paid for Such Work. and at her death and all debts and Funeral expenses & a monument placed at our graves than the Bal of of (sic) my Real estate and Person property to be Equaly (sic) divided among all of my children above named. I hereby apoint (sic) Worthy Carson my Executor of this will. Witness my Signature & Seal.
                                                                                               J.F. Carson (seal)

Sealed Published and declared by J.F. Carson as and for his last Will and testament in the presence of us. Who in his presence. at his request and in the Presence of one another have hereunto subscribed our names as Witnesses this the 15th day of January 1926.
                                                                            Witnesses    Mrs. R.H. Hefner (Seal)
                                                                                               Mrs EM Roach (Seal)

signed in my presints (sic) by all three named to this writing this 15th day of January 1926.
                                                                                              W. T. Connolly Justice Peace


I did find it interesting that he chose his second son rather than the oldest one to serve as executor. Francis Scott Carson (FS Carson in the will) lived just two farms over from his father. Jesse Worthy Carson (J Worthy Carson in the will) lived nearly 150 miles away. Both boys were included in the will so there doesn't appear to be bad blood, but it's still curious.

Choosing his daughter Ivy as caretaker for his wife Elizabeth makes sense since she was a nurse. It appears that her work was short-lived. I have been unable to find any record of Elizabeth after her mention in her husband's will. She does not appear in the household of any of her children in 1930. To date, no death or marriage record has been found for her to explain her disappearance. The only reference I have found is two unsourced trees on Ancestry, which place her death as occurring in 1928.

No comments:

Post a Comment