Monday, February 28, 2011

February Genealogy Goals Recap

You know what they say about the best laid plans of mice and men. This month's planned goals got derailed by illness. I was the (un)lucky recipient of both the respiratory and the stomach bug that have been going around. I'm feeling better now, but disappointed that I didn't get as much accomplished this month as I had planned.

Research

Extract all Radcliff (and variations) vital records for Wetzel County.
Done. 

Extract all Neal (and variations) vital records for Gilmer County.
Done.

Visit local library to explore genealogy-related holdings.
Researched online catalog to see what they had, but didn't get a chance to actually visit. You can read about the library website here.

Develop research plan for determining parents and burial location of James Thomas Hayes.
Done. Posted here. Suggestions and/or critiques welcome.

Organization

Continue going through my sources to make sure I have citations for everything.
Almost finished with source copies I had previously. Now I just need to make it a habit to write down my citation as soon as the copy prints.

Continue building timeline of vital events for individuals in my family tree.
Still in progress.

Writing

Write 12 posts a month for both blogs.
Didn't happen again. I think I'm going to lower my goal to 8 per month until I do it consistently, then increase the number.

Write a few evergreen blog posts for both blogs for use when I don't feel like writing or am too busy to post.
I have a couple that are in progress. I'll finish them up next month and try to make a goal of one evergreen post per month after that to ensure I always have some in reserve.

Education

Make a list of genealogy societies to research for possible membership.
Done. 

Other

Index at least 2,000 names for FamilySearch.
Done. 

It wasn't on the goal list for the month, but I viewed the Google for Genealogists webinar. I'm pretty familiar with Google, but I still learned new stuff. If you get the chance, definitely check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment