Monday, January 31, 2011

January Genealogy Goals Recap

Research

Transcription project-Finish all Radcliff (and variations) vital records for Gilmer County, WV.
Finished Gilmer County and Lewis County Radcliff vital records.

Make list of all individual's who I don't have date of death or parents for.
In progress.

Search General Name File on Georgia State Archives website for all Deens.
Done.

Organization

Check all source copies for citations. For those without citations, try to add them.
In progress.

Set aside one day to scan in pictures and documents.
I didn't actually set aside a day, but I was so excited when the FlipPal I won came in that I ended up scanning for hours.

Writing

Write 12 blog posts for each of my blogs. 
Didn't make this one. I came up short on both blogs.

Education

Take one of the free genealogy courses offered on Brigham Young University's website.
Done. I took Finding Ancestors.

Other

I also completed one of my 2011 genealogy goals that was not on the schedule for January. I participated in my first blog carnival, the 101st edition of the Carnival of Genealogy. This edition's topic was genealogy research/writing plans for 2011. Be sure to check it out. There were a lot of great posts.

You may have noticed that some of the posts here at Ancestrally Challenged include sources at the bottom of the post. I have begun doing this in order to make citing sources a habit.

To my dismay, I've not been able to find a way for either of my genealogy programs to list all events that occurred on a specific day. So I've begun the slow process of going through my family tree name by name to extract dates of birth, marriage and death for each individual. I plan to compile these into a calendar. Eventually, I hope to borrow a page from Tonia Kendrick at Tonia's Roots and begin my own "on this date" series.

I signed up for the indexing projects at FamilySearch and Low County Africana. I'm still waiting to hear back from the second project, but I have indexed over 1,100 names for FamilySearch since I joined on the 28th.

No comments:

Post a Comment