Monday, January 24, 2011

Argial Waitman Carson (1916-1985)

Argial Waitman Carson
22 May 1916-24 Jan 1985

Me with Grandpa Carson Nov 1984

Argial Waitman Carson was my paternal great grandfather. He was the son of Francis Scott Carson and Dora C Grose Carson. He was born 22 May 1916 in Grass Run, Gilmer County, West Virginia.

As far as I know, he spent his entire life in Gilmer County with the exception of serving in World War II. He enlisted as a private in the Army on 14 Feb 1945.

He married Evelyn Edna King Carson 1 Nov 1938 and they had three children, a son and two daughters. All three children are still living. He passed away on 24 Jan 1985 in Glenville, Gilmer County, West Virginia. He is buried in Kirkpatrick Cemetery, which is located on the hill behind the family farm in Glenville.

I don't remember my Grandpa Carson even though I know I met him. However, I was very young when he passed away so it's probably not surprising that I don't remember him. I do remember walking up to the graveyard with my great-grandmother to put flowers on his grave whenever I visited.

Sources:

Argial Waitman Carson birth record, Vital Records Research Project, West Virginia Archives & History, West Virginia Division of Culture and History

Argial Carson enlistment record, Army serial number 35957716, Electronic Army Serial Number Merged File, ca. 1938 - 1946, NARA [Database online]

Social Security Death Index, Argial Carson, SSN 204-03-8128, Rootsweb [Database online]

1920 US Census, population schedule, Glenville, Gilmer, West Virginia, ED 49, Sheet 17B, Dwelling 312, Family 315, Francis Carson household; NARA microfilm publication T625, Roll 1952; digital image, Heritage Quest Online [Written as Argil W Carson.]

1930 US Census, population schedule, Glenville, Gilmer, West Virginia, ED 7, Sheet 5A, Dwelling 93, Family 96, Francis S Carson household; NARA microfilm publication T626, roll 2530; digital image, Heritage Quest Online [Written as Argel W Carson.]

No comments:

Post a Comment